Are you struggling to write that killer research paper or thesis that will propel your academic career? Do you find yourself buried under piles of notes and struggling to keep track of your references? Fret not, for the solution is right at your fingertips!
Thanks to the wonders of modern technology, a plethora of academic writing software tools are available to assist you in your journey toward academic success.
In this blog post, we will take a deep dive into the top ten academic software that will transform your writing game and give you the competitive edge you need to excel. So buckle up, and let’s dive in!
Types of Software used for academic writing
There are usually four types of software used for academic writing, which are:
- Word Processing Programs – These are programs that help users write, format, and edit text documents.
- Grammar Checkers – These are programs that analyze text for errors and provide suggestions to improve grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
- Plagiarism Checkers – These are programs that check documents for plagiarism, ensuring the document is original and not copied from other sources.
- Writing Assistants – These are programs that use artificial intelligence to generate text and provide suggestions for improvement.
Top 10 Academic Writing Software
1. Simplified (Free Forever)
Looking for a tool that can help you save time and write faster? Look no further than Simplified AI Writer! Our platform offers a user-friendly document editor and advanced AI text generation capabilities to streamline your writing process. Whether you’re a student or a professional writer, Simplified AI Writer can help you create high-quality content quickly and easily.
With team collaboration features and the ability to rewrite articles, our platform is the perfect solution for anyone who wants to take their writing to the next level. Plus, Simplified AI Writer supports over 25 languages and includes customizable templates to get you started. Give it a try and see how it can simplify your writing process today!
- Free-flow document editor
- Team collaboration features
- AI copywriting features
- Plagiarism-free content generator
- Content rewriting feature
- 70+ AI templates
- 25+ languages
- Different tones of voice
- Sentence expander
- Article summarizer
- “Free Forever” basic plan, with paid plans starting at $21/month
2. Microsoft Word
Everyone knows and uses MS Word, it’s the pioneer in word-processing programs and has been around for a long time. Even today, it’s a popular choice among students and professionals alike for writing all sorts of academic pieces like essays and dissertations.
One of the best things about it is that it’s part of the Microsoft Office suite, which means it’s widely used and easily accessible. Plus, if you use Office 365 or Microsoft OneDrive, you can collaborate with your classmates or professors in real-time.
- Word-processing program
- Integrates with Office 365 and Microsoft OneDrive
- Allows for collaboration among students and professors
- Supports over 20 languages
- Offers access to a vast library of premium templates, fonts, stickers, icons, and graphics
- Includes dictation, voice commands, and transcription features
- Provides up to 6 TB of cloud storage (1 TB per user)
- You can buy MS Word for $159.99
3. Google Docs
Google Docs is a free and convenient online word-processing tool that enables real-time collaboration with your teammates, ensuring you can work on the same document simultaneously.
It also automatically saves your work as you type, making it easy to access your files from anywhere on any device. With its seamless integration with other Google apps, Google Docs is an excellent option for students looking to collaborate on assignments or projects.
- Free online word processing tool
- Real-time collaboration and syncing
- Automatic saving
- Mobile and laptop access
- Integration with all other Google apps
- Google Docs has a Freemium system, paid plans starting at $6/month
Another great academic writing software is Grammarly. It’s an AI-powered writing assistant that helps you avoid grammar and spelling errors, improves your writing style, and provides suggestions to make your writing more engaging. It is available as a browser extension, desktop app, and mobile app.
- Advanced grammar and spelling checker
- Suggestions for writing style improvement
- Plagiarism checker (in the premium version)
- Integration with various platforms including Microsoft Word, Google Docs, and WordPress
- Personal dictionary
- Goal setting and progress tracking
- Free plan available, with premium plans starting at $15/month
Citavi is a reference management software that helps researchers to organize, manage, and cite sources. It is particularly useful for larger research projects such as a dissertation or thesis.
- Reference and source management
- PDF annotation and note-taking
- Draft outlines and templates for writing
- Team collaboration features
- Built-in citation styles for easy referencing
- Integrates with Microsoft Word and LaTeX
- Citavi offers a Free trial for new users
6. Nuance Dragon Anywhere
Nuance Dragon Anywhere is a cloud-based voice recognition software that enables users to dictate and edit documents by voice on their mobile devices.
- Customizable voice commands and vocabulary
- Dictation in noisy environments
- Syncs with Dragon desktop for seamless editing and sharing
- Auto-text and templates for frequently used text
- Sharing and collaboration features
- A variety of packages for all levels, starting at $14
Turnitin is a plagiarism detection software widely used by educational institutions to ensure academic integrity. It checks for originality and citations in written work.
- Online plagiarism detection
- Provides detailed similarity reports
- Can check against its extensive database of academic papers
- Instructor feedback and grading tools
- Integrated with various learning management systems (LMS)
- Turnitin offers a Free trial for new users
EndNote is a citation manager that helps researchers organize and cite references. It has an extensive database of citation styles and can automatically format citations and bibliographies in your chosen style.
- Reference management and organization
- Integration with databases and search engines
- Customizable citation styles
- Collaboration and sharing features
- Bibliographic formatting tools
- You can buy the licensed version starting from $99.95
Mendeley is a reference manager and academic social network that allows researchers to organize, share, and discover research papers. With Mendeley, users can store and annotate references, access cross-publisher articles, and import desktop documents in real time.
- Bibliography creation and citation management tools
- A web importer tool that allows you to quickly save references and metadata from web pages
- Social networking capabilities to connect with other researchers and discover new research
- PDF annotation and highlighting tools
- Mobile apps for iOS and Android
- Integration with Microsoft Word and other popular word-processing software
- Mendeley has upgrade options as well as limited free storage
Zotero is a free, open-source reference manager designed to help researchers collect, organize, and cite research content. With Zotero, users can collaborate remotely with project members, create web-based bibliographies, and more.
- A web importer tool that allows you to save references and metadata from web pages with a single click
- A powerful search function that allows you to quickly find and organize your references
- Integration with popular word processing software like Microsoft Word and LibreOffice
- Support for a wide variety of reference types, including books, articles, websites, and more
- Automatic syncing across devices and platforms
- PDF annotation and highlighting tools
- Advanced search capabilities that allow you to search across all of your references at once
- Zotero has free storage of 300 MB, with paid plans starting at $20/year
Academic writing software is a valuable tool for students and researchers alike. Each software has its own set of features that can help with different aspects of the writing process, from grammar and spelling checks to reference management and plagiarism detection.
While there are many options available, Simplified AI Writer stands out for its all-in-one solution that combines features like a free-flow document editor, team collaboration, and AI copywriting features in one platform.
We encourage readers to give Simplified AI Writer a try and experience how it can help streamline their writing process. As a leading AI writing tool, Simplified can help students, researchers, and professionals to create high-quality content more efficiently.
Sign up at Simplified today, and start with our “free forever” plan, perfect for beginners and students on a budget!