If you’ve been on the internet in the past few years, you’ve probably seen some form of AI-generated art. Whether it’s a portrait of a person that doesn’t exist or a landscape made up of thousands of images, AI art is becoming increasingly common.
But can you sell AI-generated art? Is it possible to make a living off of selling something that was created by a machine? In this blog post, we will explore the question of whether or not you can sell AI-generated art, the copyright issues involved, and more. So if you’re curious about this burgeoning new field, read on!
What is AI-Generated Art?
AI-generated art is a type of art that is created using artificial intelligence. This can be done in a number of ways, but the most common method is to use algorithms to generate images or sculptures. AI-generated art is often seen as being more “objective” than traditional art, as it is not created by human artists with their own biases and preferences.
Some people believe that AI-generated art is a form of “true” art, as it is created without any human input. Others believe that AI-generated art is not really art at all, as it is created by a machine and not a human being. Whatever your opinion, there is no doubt that AI-generated art is a fascinating new field that is sure to continue to evolve in the years to come.
Selling AI-Generated Art: The Common Questions
Let’s say you’ve just made an amazing artwork with an equally amazing AI-art generator like DALL-E or Dream by WOMBO, and you’re not sure whether or not you can sell it. Let’s help you out. In this section, we will attempt to answer some of the most common questions about selling AI-generated art.
1. Can You Sell AI-Generated Art?
Yes, you can! The legality of selling AI-generated art has been called into question in recent years, as the technology has become more advanced and more widely used. That being said, there is no reason why AI-generated art cannot be sold, as it can be treated as a tool for artists similar to a camera that a photographer uses to capture pictures. The artists who create the art should be the ones to own it, as they are the ones who put in the creative work. So, if you are an artist who uses AI to create your art, you have every right to sell it!
However, it would be illegal for you to attempt to resell or copy the AI-generated artwork of another artist, as this would infringe on their copyright.
2. Are AI-generated Images Copyright Free?
In the United States, AI-generated images are copyright free.
3. Can I Use AI-generated Art for Commercial Purposes?
Sure, you can sell AI-generated art, but in some cases, you’ll need to be careful. Not all AI-art generators allow the use and redistribution of AI art for commercial purposes. Let’s check out some popular AI art generators to find which ones allow AI images for commercial use, and which ones don’t.
- DALL-E: Previously,OpenAI did not allow the use and redistribution of any AI-generated image for commercial purposes. However, in July 2022, OpenAI announced that DALL-E was now available in beta, and that “users get full usage rights to commercialize the images they create with DALL·E, including the right to reprint, sell, and merchandise. This includes images they generated during the research preview.”
- Dream by WOMBO: On the company’s official website, it states that “Users own all artworks created by users with assistance of the Service, including all related copyrights and other intellectual property rights (if applicable).”
- NightCafe: You can use any AI art generated by NightCafe for commercial purposes – as long as you didn’t use any copyrighted images in the creation process, or images subject to the copyright laws in your jurisdiction.
- MidJourney: If you are using a free or a trial account for Midjourney, you are granted a Commons Noncommercial 4.0 Attribution International License. This simply means that you can use the images, as long as you don’t sell them or make money off them, and as long as you give credit (“attribution”) to Midjourney. If you are a paid member, then you own all assets you create, meaning you can use them for commercial purposes.
4. Can You Sell AI-generated Art As NFTs?
Yes. With the increasing popularity of AI art, it’s no surprise that users can now generate artwork in the form of NFTs–a type of non-interchangeable digital ledgers that allow creators to sell their art in the digital format. Companies like Eponym, a text-to-image AI software, help artists like you to sell your art pieces directly on the NFT marketplace, OpenSea.
So, there you have it! The whole business of selling AI-generated art can be tricky but we hope we’ve helped you understand how it works.
And, in case you’d like to make unique and one-of-a-kind graphic designs, you have to try out Simplified! We’re no AI-image generator, but you can write, edit videos, publish content, and manage your social media accounts, all in one place.
Simplified is the best way to make unique and one-of-a-kind graphic designs!
Simplified is the best all-in-one marketing tool you’ll ever find! You can write, edit videos, publish content, and manage your social media accounts, all in one place. And, did we mention that it’s free? So what are you waiting for?